The Memorial Day weekend is typically thought of as the official beginning of summer. Many families whose children have finished up their school year take this weekend to go on vacation. Unfortunately, some of them don't have their minds on driving. You're going to be dealing with people of all ages and all levels of driving experience including:
- Teenagers fresh from the DMV
- Senior citizens with decades of driving know-how
- Horse Trailers
So, what can you as a professional truck driver do to protect yourself, your rig and your freight during this heavy traffic period? Here's 4 tips to stay safe over Memorial Day weekend:
- Allow yourself extra time to get where you're going.
- Be aware that there will be a heavy amount of law enforcement patrolling the roads.
- Be mindful of your speed, your following distance, and stay in compliance with your logs.
- Keep everything in proper working order. DOT Inspectors are on high alert.
If you're planning to enjoy your Memorial Day weekend with something you don't normally enjoy while you're in your truck, make sure that you don't endanger your livelihood and as always BE SAFE!